Saturday, March 28, 2009

Organic Produce at Giant Cheaper than Regular Produce?

OK. I feel kind of silly. I've always been marginally aware of this portable green cart that hangs out in the produce section of my Giant, but I just checked it out for realz this past week - and WOW, there was all kinds of produce for super cheap! I'm talking cheaper than the loss-leader prices of regular produce. I think that in the past I had always been wary of the "Not the best but still a good buy" labels on the produce this cart carries, but now I look at the label more like this: "Not the best, but still a good buy!"

Check it out:
  • $1.49 for three heads of organic romaine lettuce. The only discernable difference was that the very tips of the lettuce leaves were every so slightly pink - easy to excise when chopping the romaine up later. Three nights of salad for $1.49, woo!

  • $1.99 for a three pound bag of organic apples ($0.66/lb!). I think these were relegated to the cart because they weren't the 'prettiest'. But after taking these for a bag lunch the next day, I discovered that they were perfectly crisp and white underneath the occasional brown spots (not bruises; just surface coloring). Blindfolded I wouldn't have been able to tell a difference in taste or texture.

  • $1.99 for a three pound bag of organic potatoes ($0.66/lb.!). These looked exactly like the bags of organic potatoes in the organic potato section. I am boggled as to why these were so deeply discounted. They cooked up great, too!
Why, oh, why has it taken me so long to get over my prejudices and give the "still a good buy" cart a try? Not only are these steals, even compared to regular produce, but apples and potatoes fall on the "dirty dozen" list of produce that you should try to buy organics (as the items on the list retain the highest levels of pesticides and other chemicals ultimately consumed).

Click here to see all Redemption Unlimited posts related to organic and natural foods.

Visit Mambo Spouts for a myriad of printable organic, natural, and health food coupons and to request mailer packages of coupons!
.
Organic Produce at Giant Cheaper than Regular Produce?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: