Monday, February 23, 2009

Frugality Hack - Home-Flavored Coffee

Who doesn't enjoy flavored coffee (esp. flavored - but harder to find - decaf varieties)? My favorites are French Vanilla Dunkin' Donuts or any brand hazelnut decaf with lots of half'n'half and some Splenda - "sissified"! OK, OK...I know there are some of you out there who can't abide a flavored cup of Joe, and drink only plain coffee, or even plain black coffee. Needless to say, you probably won't find too much useful info in this post. :)

What I don't love about flavored coffee all the current gourmet prices.

So, my solution is: unflavored regular or decaf of your normal brand, plus some added pizazz. To my perhaps unsophisticated palate, indistinguishable from already-flavored store bought coffee, and around half the price (or less if you bought it in a coupon deal - yee haw!).

Add the following on top of the coffee as it sits in the filter (I have a cone-filter drip machine):

Regular Ol' Vanilla: 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Fall/Winter Mix: 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 2 dashes nutmeg

Almond Rocha: 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. almond extract (+ dash cinnamon if desired)

Any of you do similar home doctoring? I always welcome others' homemade coffee confection recipes. :)
Frugality Hack - Home-Flavored CoffeeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

1 comment:

Masker # 7 said...

Ohhhh...me, me, me!!!! I have a hint to share! I use plain old nonfat powdered milk, funnel it into an empty milk carton (the powder, that is), add water according to directions & lid, SHAKE-SHAKE-SHAKE (and I mean really throw that jug around), and then you have a delicious foamy froth to add to your coffee! Store it in the frig, but each time you use the milk, shake it vigorously and get a whole fresh new batch of milk foam!