Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Frugal Sewing: Easy Bandana Pants

Last summer, a friend of mine alerted me to the existence of a delightful blog post laying out very detailed pics and instructions for sewing a simple pair of pants consisting of two bandanas - good for toddlers up to small children! They wear like pants, then capris, then shorts, as a child grows, but the design is so simple that they are truly one size fits all, and are great coverups for poolside adventures. The dollar section of Target had bandanas in whimsical prints for $1 each last summer, so with elastic and 2 bandanas, you are talking around $2.50 for a pair of pants. Far less if you recycle fabric by cutting it into bandana sized squares or use bandanas bought on clearance! (Talk to a scout leader who just came back from camp...bet you dollars to doughtnuts he/she has a few spare pair.)

As a child, I actually steam-ironed my fingers in sewing class trying to iron the simple draw-string bag I had sewn. Needless to say, I will probably not be saving our family money making wardrobes full of custom-sewn clothing, but even sewing dopes like me can tackle this bandana pants pattern. I was so proud of the pair I did in classic red bandana print!
Photo tutorial here.

I am sure that this would be a great intermediate pattern, too, for working with older children who already have sewing experience under their belts (iron at your own risk ;-p).

Thanks so much, Stefani of Blue Yonder, for posting this creative (and very frugality-friendly) sewing project!


Frugal Sewing: Easy Bandana PantsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: