Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cookbook Review: Make it Fast, Cook it Slow



I've been dying to get my hands on Stephanie O'Dea's new cookbook, "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow." She rose to fame with her "A Year of Crockpotting" blog and I still follow her posts happily.

I liketo cook, but I don't like to have a lot of cookbooks. I find it confusing to remember which book harbors which recipe, and it's just easier to search for or save recipes on my computer. So I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to cookbooks. Rather than purchase them, I'll borrow one or sign one out of the library. When I found out our library had "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow," I quickly placed a hold on it. I wanted to see how it was formatted before buying it, and I've decided that I'd love to have it in my kitchen after seeing it and holding it in my hands. I like the format, and the publisher still printed some of Stephanie's pithy comments.

Last week I tried out the Taco Soup recipe in the cookbook when making a meal to take to a friend. I was pleased with the results. I omitted the ranch dressing packet from the recipe, used black beans instead of kidney beans, and used 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning. Yummy! I will definitely make this one again for my own family.
Cookbook Review: Make it Fast, Cook it SlowSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for the idea to check it out from the library. I've been interested in this cookbook too!
I'll go online and request it at my local library and if I like it I might add it to my "wish list" for my birthday or Christmas.
Thanks,
Laura

Adrienne said...

I got this book for Christmas and it's great. Our favorite recipe is salsa chicken and black bean soup. Super yummy, super easy and I almost always have everything in my pantry.