Thursday, January 28, 2010

Birthday Cake Round-up: Thomas the Tank Engine Cake

My son has fallen head over heels for Thomas the Tank Engine. Thomas, Thomas' friends, Sir Topham Hat, Harold the Helicopter, we're all over you here in our house! I think he dreams of Thomas, because he wakes up talking about him.


To celebrate my son's birthday last year I made the simplest Thomas cake I could conceive. I was tempted to make this cake but quickly gave up on that idea once I realized how many days it would take. And his birthday is in December, mind you?! As if there's not enough on my literal plate.



At any rate, I really enjoy decorating sugar cookies. In keeping with LifeAsMom's Birthday Cake Round-up, here is my version of a Thomas cake! My favorite chocolate cake recipe is the Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake. I use 3 9" layer cake pans because this recipe makes a lot of cake batter. For the frosting I used the delectable Wilton Chocolate Buttercream Icing recipe. Instead of milk I used half & half, which gave the frosting a deeper dimension.





And a few more photos so you can see the table setup with a LILLABO figure 8 wooden track set from IKEA.










Happy birthday to the sweetest boy!
Birthday Cake Round-up: Thomas the Tank Engine CakeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Very creative and I bet your son loved it too!
My son is also a huge Thomas fan. I made one for his second birthday here. Cakes/cookie design can be a bit of work to make, but it's so worth it when you see your child's face light up in delight!
Laura

Jennifer Clark said...

I actually like your cake better than the one you didn't do! It's cute!