Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: making my own sausage

I've recently started making my own sausage. I admit that I love the salty, unhealthy taste of sausage, and it's a comfort food for me that bring back memories of my mom's cooking on the farm.

In a pinch while trying to come up with a meal to take to a friend who recently had surgery, I needed sausage but didn't have any. I spotted a package of ground turkey in my freezer and bing! the idea light came on. This isn't the first time I've made sausage, but it was the first time I made turkey sausage.

It's so easy - and I like that I can control the type of meat,amount of fat, and amount of salt by making it at home. Plus, it's cheaper than buying prepackaged sausage at the grocery store. Here is the seasoning I like for either ground turkey or ground pork. I've tried several different recipes I found online, and this combines a few of my favorites.

Homemade Sausage Recipe
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sage
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Mix together thoroughly(I use my hands) and shape into patties. Fry in ungreased skillet, or bake 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes in shallow pan. Use paper towel to remove excess grease.

*** Perdue 93% lean ground turkey is on sale at Giant this week through 12/10 for $1.99/lb. Stock up on some to have in your house over the holidays - I know I'll be making stuffed shells and breakfast casseroles for all my guests and this will come in handy!
Works for Me Wednesday: making my own sausageSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your Works for Me Wednesday posted a day early?
Thanks for the tip on how to make my own sausage. I too, love sausage!
Laura