Friday, April 23, 2010

Frugal Fridays: Breakfast Burritos!

































It's time for the blog carnival Frugal Fridays - when we blog about the small habits and other tidbits we include in our comings and goings to save money on a regular basis.

About every other month I sign up to take snacks to our adult Sunday School class. People like to eat hearty breakfast food, and I've found a way to make breakfast for a crowd without breaking the bank... breakfast burritos!

Since I buy large amounts of eggs at a time from Costco, I can make 24 burritos for $6-8 depending on what I throw into the scrambled eggs. The price is right, and I like that I can make these the night before we'll eat them, stow them in the fridge, then warm them just before eating the next day. The burritos also freeze well in foil. I usually make a few extras so I can have an "on the go" breakfast to throw in the toaster oven for 10-12 minutes.



Mel's Breakfast Burritos

1 lb. sausage, browned (I use my homemade turkey sausage)

18 eggs, scrambled

Salt & pepper

1 and 1/2 to 2 cups salsa

2 cans black beans

2 cups shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese

24 small flour tortillas, warmed

Roll of foil, cut into pieces to wrap burritos individually


Cook sausage in saucepan and drain juices. Set aside. In same pan, scramble eggs, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Add salsa and black beans to eggs. Stir until evenly combined.

Turn off heat and set up an assembly line: tortillas on the left, then cheese, then egg/salsa/bean mixture. Assemble one burrito at a time, starting with cheese, then wrap it tightly in foil.

Warm burritos at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, 35-40 minutes if stored overnight in fridge.


















Redemption Unlimited is for entertainment purposes only. Mel and A. are not a financial advisers and no information found on this site should be construed as financial advice.

Frugal Fridays: Breakfast Burritos!SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: