Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Recipe: Slow Cooker Sunday Chicken

I(Mel) recently found the cookbook that came with my slow cooker.  I haven't seen it in years, so I was thrilled to try out a recipe that sounded delicious, "Sunday Chicken."  It didn't disappoint.  I conveniently made it on Sunday, and it was simple-to-prepare comfort food at its finest.

I don't have any pictures to share since it got devoured.  Mostly by me.  But suffice it to say that you can't beat this 3-ingredient recipe.

Sunday Chicken *from the GE Slow Cooker Recipe Book
3 1/2 pounds chicken, cut up(I used about 1 and 1/2 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen)
1 10-oz. can condensed cream of celery soup (I used cream of chicken because it was in the pantry)
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth (I used Chardonnay and loved the flavor)
Paprika, salt and pepper (I omitted these)

Rinse chicken in cold water.  Pat dry.  Sprinkle chicken with seasonings.  Combine soup and wine.  Place half of chicken in crock and pour half of soup mixture over chicken.  Repeat layers.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours OR high for 4 hours.

Notes:
  • I used a lot less chicken and liked the fact that there was lots of gravy to spread over veggies and rice.
  • I put the chicken into the crock straight out the freezer in a big clump, then separated the pieces about 2 hours later.  
  • From frozen chicken to completely cooked and tender, this recipe took only 3.5 hours on the HIGH setting.

  • During the last hour, I steamed some peas and cooked some rice on the stovetop.  All 3 of us liked it, then I enjoyed the leftovers.  Mmmm.  Can't wait to make Sunday Chicken again.

Head on over to Life as Mom for more comfort food recipes!
Recipe: Slow Cooker Sunday ChickenSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: