Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: Receipt Organizer


It's Wednesday again - time for another "Works for Me!" tip, inspired by the blog carnival/series at We are THAT Family.

I recently realized I have a paper problem. I let it stack up, don't do a good job of sorting it as it comes in, and generally lose things. I know I'm not alone, but I haven't taken the time to figure out a system that works for me. Hubby has his system, but it doesn't keep me organized, and I'm the one who's home all the time.

We shared earlier about how we organize coupons, but we haven't shared about how we organize receipts. I do think it's important to keep receipts for at least a quarter in the case that I need to refer to a receipt for submitting a rebate or getting refund when doing a return. Many stores offer a 90-day return policy, so I've come up with a way to organize my paper receipts.

I found a standard letter envelope sized plastic expandable organizer with 13 slots at my local Target. It came with monthly stickers, so after about 2 hours of sorting over the past week I'm proud to share that part of my paper problem is under control! I've kept the first pocket of the organizer open so I can file receipts for returns or rebates right there. Then once I'm finished with the to-do item, I'll file the receipt behind its proper month tab.

What works for you when it comes to organizing receipts?
Works for Me Wednesday: Receipt OrganizerSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good for you! It's always inspiring to get a new system going, and I hope it works for you to continue filing those babies in there. Less mess on the desk sure is motivation.

Just this morning, I ran across my 2009 box in the laundry room and it felt so good to shove into it all of those pieces that had been stashed in the front of my filing cabinet.

Cheryl Pitt said...

I wish I'd thought of that when we had an at home business. I was always on the hunt for misplaced receipts.

http://crispy-not-crunchy.blogspot.com/2009/10/wfmw-aromatherapy-lamp-rings.html

Pauline Wiles said...

I have a set of those mini drawers from Ikea, and I pretty much just stuff receipts in there. It sounds disorganized but in fact, that automatically means they're filed in date order.
When the drawer is full, I start another drawer and (after a decent interval), shred the contents of drawer #1.
It kind of works, I think! :)