Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: Buying in Bulk


I have friends who make fun of me for buying 25-pound bags of flour. True confession!

I do find it prudent for our family to buy certain things in bulk. We have a Costco membership, and I make 1-3 runs to Costco per month. It's true: I buy 25-pound bags of flour! I also buy these items:
eggs (7 dozen at a time!)
confectionary sugar (5 lbs.)
brown sugar (5 lbs.)
shredded mozzarella cheese (5 lbs.)
shredded cheddar cheese (5 lbs.)
ground beef (6 lbs.)
deli meat

I have a whole shelf of canisters in one of my kitchen cupboards for the dry baking goods. For anything that doesn't fit there I put the item in Ziploc bags and store them on shelves in our basement.

I buy several other items regularly at Costco, like milk, bread, salad, etc., but on today's post I'd like to highlight the items that require dividing up and storing. We don't have a lot of storage space, so I'm judicious about what I'm willing to divide into smaller bags and store. It's worth it on our budget, and this practice saves me from making extra runs to the grocery store for staple items.

I do bake a lot, and I try to keep myself on the Zone diet as much as possible. A Costco membership really helps in both areas.




What do you buy in bulk? If you buy in bulk, where do you purchase your items? Leave us a comment and let us know.
Works for Me Wednesday: Buying in BulkSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi RU Ladies!
I have a Costco membership too; I grew up in a loyal Price Costco (used to be Price Club here in NOVA) shopping family; and today it seems like most people I know here in Northern VA have a membership too. I get gas there for my car, get my tires there, and will ocassionally get grocery items in bulk. However, lately I've been steering clear of grocery shopping at Costco because I always spend at least $40 bucks when buying just a couple of items. My goal is to currently spend $40-$50 on groceries per week (for a family of 3), and a trip to Costco can suck up the whole week's budget.
I've never been brave enough to buy the 25-lb bag of flour there... I always thought, gosh it's so heavy for me to lug out of the car and where will I have room to store it and how long will it take me to go through that whole bag? But I haven't done a cost-comparison on how much the savings would be on the initial investment of a 25-lb bag. It's probably a hefty savings!
I have bought brown sugar and confectionary sugar there in the past. I used to buy milk, eggs and peanut butter there before I found Aldi and got into extreme couponing at other stores.
I admit, I love Costco's free food samples during the day. It's a nice snack for me and the kiddo while shopping. Plus their carts are big and have room for two kids to sit (for all you moms with multiple kids).