Monday, November 9, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

This month I started documenting our grocery budget in more detail in an Excel spreadsheet, including our household's top 20-30 most commonly bought items listed individually. Wow, what a difference just being required to record it can make! Even with generous margins built in (like for deal-catching at Shopper's Food Warehouse triple coupons this week), I find myself aware of the fact - while shopping - that I will be documenting it all when I get home. It's also simplifying my menus. I'll be curious to see if a) I can keep up the documentation, and b) the new awareness significantly impacts our grocery spending for the better.

Here is the menu plan for the week:

Monday: BLTs, salad, apple slices

Tuesday: Mac'n'cheese, salad, fruit smoothies

Wednesday: Steamfresh veggies bought cheaply at Giant, pad thai noodles with FREE CVS cashews*

Thursday: Tuna salad or egg salad sandwiches, salad

Friday: Nachos: homemade guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheddar, seasoned ground beef, diced tomatoes

***

Note:
Twice in the last week or so I've had a coupon print at the CVS coupon kiosk for $2 off the purchase of 2 Gold Emblem nut items. Since there's a huge bin of $0.99 packs of various nuts (wasabi almonds, cashews, or other types) at the front of the store, we've gotten 4 free snack-size pouches of nuts with practically zero effort. Scan your CVS card at the coupon kiosk soon to see if you might also get this "sneak freebie" coupon!
Menu Plan MondaySocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: