Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A.'s New Frugality Booster

This past weekend, we spent a lot of time with family, and while everybody was getting together, we also celebrated my summer birthday. Behold the newest weapon in my frugality arsenal:This, ladies and gents, is my new crock pot (or to be trademark correct: slow cooker) - a birthday gift from my inlaws. My first crock pot was also inherited from my mother-in-law - an early 1970s-era workhorse (that is: "Old School"). But the new birthday crock pot has all manner of bells and whistles. At 6 quarts' capacity, it can cook two smallish chickens - or 7.5 lbs. of pretty much anything (Helllooooooo freezing extra meals!). It has a clip-tight gasket lid for transport. It even has a thermometer probe option that allows you to put the thermometer right to the center of your meat and specify a minimum temp, so once your meat hits the temp, the cooker goes to "warm". Is that not pretty close to rocket science? I told the my husband that I didn't care if it was the middle of summer; I was going to try out some slow cooker meals this week if I can manage it. With cheaply bought Giant Super G chicken breast and canned beans and corn, I'm thinking some type of white chicken chili sounds good.

Anybody care to share slow cooker recipes while I'm in the zone? :)
A.'s New Frugality BoosterSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

1 comment:

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Oh, so so many favorite recipes! I love using the slow cooker in the summer so I don't have to turn on the oven. It's great to come home after a busy day and have the house smelling great and dinner is ready.

Coq Au Vin http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/07/crockpot-coq-au-vin-recipe.html

Lemon & Dill Chicken
http://www.moneywisemoms.com/2009/07/wfmw-lemon-dill-crockpot-chicken.html

Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta Roast
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/05/sundried-tomatoes-and-feta-tri-tip.html

and one of my favorites and easiest is to put chicken (or beef) in with a jar of salsa or can of diced tomatoes w/ green chiles. Just cook on low all day, then shred for fabulous tacos. You can use the leftovers for enchiladas or quesadillas.