Monday, June 14, 2010

Menu Plan Monday - Anybody Out There With Indian Cooking Tips?

I tend to keep a large stash of Trader Joe's Jaipur Vegetables in my pantry to indulge my cravings for:

a) a quick veggie-based lunch that both my three-year-old and I will eat (we split a $2.20 package between the two of us, usually), and
b) Indian spices (my husband and my entire extended family are decidedly not fans of Indian food, so making large dishes with Indian spices has the potential to be wasteful in our household)

I've also seen packet versions of Jaipur veggies on Amazon, but I am lately pondering if there might be a crockpot type version of Jaipur vegetables out there so that I might try making it from scratch. I figured that if I could nail it and maybe freeze servings, the seasonings, potatoes, carrots, beans, etc. might enable me to enjoy the dish for cheaper than $2.20/lunch. It would be a great "freezer day" project for me as I could add chopped veggies to the crock pot to simmer whenever - ideal with a nursing baby around.

Do we have any readers out there with talents in the Indian culinary arts that might be able to point me in the right direction or offer tips?

Monday
Breakfast - Nectarines, cheese, milk
Lunch - Leftovers from this weekend - veggie/meat kabobs and/or brats
Dinner - Quiche, cubed papaya

Tuesday
Breakfast - Yoghurt with honey
Lunch - Peanut butter with apple slices, cheese
Dinner - Turkey chili, loosely based on this, cornbread (I have a lot of frozen ground turkey to use up!)

Wednesday
Breakfast - Microwave-fried eggs, bananas, milk
Lunch - Leftover chili and cornbread
Dinner - Baked frozen chicken legs, salads

Thursday
Breakfast - Blueberries, yoghurt, milk
Lunch - Trader Joe's Jaipur vegetables, peaches
Dinner - Frozen pizza, salads

Friday
Breakfast - Chocolate chip bacon pancakes (yes, you read that right!)
Lunch - Tuna salad, crackers, strawberries
Dinner - Pasta carbonara, made with the frozen ground turkey and stockpiled couponed-for-free pasta
Menu Plan Monday - Anybody Out There With Indian Cooking Tips?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: