Thursday, March 4, 2010

Corned Beef Season at Giant

Last year, I made an unexpected discovery: my family, and my extended family in the area, and many of our local friends...all love corned beef. I learned how to make it for the first time last year, and made it several times after that with the few corned beef roasts that I had frozen from Giant's St. Patrick's Day sale. I've just gotten my first glance at the front page of the Giant ad (matchups to come a bit later), but it looks like this week, and probably a week or two to come, the corned beef is $1.49/lb. (Cabbage is $0.29/lb., and potatoes are $2 for a 5 lb. bag, too.)

This year, I'm gunning to store many more in my freezer (I have a chest freezer in our garage where much of our frozen meat is stored). After all, I have few dishes which have had such a high payoff of results when compared with effort invested - since I cook corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots in my crock pot, it couldn't get much easier. Time to clear out freezer-burned items and devote a corner of my chest freezer in honor of St. Patrick's Day! See some highly rated corned beef recipes here.

Are you going to freeze the cheap corned beef? Any tips or recipes to share? I've found that a bottle of beer (I've used Heineken with great results) added to the crockpot mix adds a certain something.
Corned Beef Season at GiantSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Ebates and Swagbucks are both easy ways to earn rewards while doing what you normally do - web-searching through Google and shopping for bargains online!

No comments: